315
views
0
recommends
+1 Recommend
1 collections
    0
    shares

      UCL Press journals including Archaeology Internation have now moved website.

      You will now find the journal, all publications and submission information, at https://journals.uclpress.co.uk/ai

      scite_
       
      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: found
      Is Open Access

      From the Archives

      research-article
      , ,
      Archaeology International
      Ubiquity Press
      Bookmark

            Main article text

            The Institute of Archaeology building was designed by the architects Booth, Ledeboer and Pinckheard, built by the Islington-based construction company Dove Brothers, and formally opened in 1958. While the exterior is comparatively unchanged (Fig. 1), the following photographs from the Institute’s archives (Figs. 2-4), compare the appearance of parts of the interior in 1958 with how they look now. In most cases some original features are still visible.

            All photographs are copyright of UCL Institute of Archaeology; Stuart Laidlaw took the new photographs. For further information about the Institute’s archives please contact Ian Carroll, Collections Manager.

            Fig. 1

            Exterior view of the new Institute building as it nears completion in the mid 1950s. Despite the scaffolding and lack of window frames and glazing, the building is easily recognisable. Note the Dove Brothers’ prominent sign.

            Fig. 2

            The gallery: the modern display-cases enable the Institute to display permanently parts of its excellent collections. The cases at the far end are used for the annual display by Museum Studies students - the current theme ‘Voices of War: UCL in World War I’ was chosen to mark the hundredth anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War.

            Fig. 3

            The lecture theatre: the seating has been replaced, and the slide projector (operated manually by a projectionist in a separate box behind the lecture theatre) has given way to a digital projector operated by the lecturer. A whiteboard (which can be raised in front of the projection screen) has taken the place of the old blackboard.

            Fig. 4

            The conservation laboratories: perhaps these present the most striking visible changes, largely because of the new benching, and the provision of fume extraction at each individual bench-space, to accord with modern health and safety standards (conservators use a range of solvents such as acetone).

            Author and article information

            Contributors
            Journal
            2048-4194
            Archaeology International
            Ubiquity Press
            2048-4194
            23 October 2014
            : 17
            : 1
            : 165-168
            Affiliations
            [-1]UCL Institute of Archaeology, London WC1H 0PY, United Kingdom
            Article
            10.5334/ai.1719
            c0de49ce-ad07-422c-8f85-771d1589142b
            Copyright: © 2014 The Author(s)

            This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY 3.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited. See http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/.

            History
            Categories
            People and places

            Archaeology,Cultural studies

            Comments

            Comment on this article